Screenshot of the top 10 beach boardwalk list compiled by editors at Cheapflights.com in honor of summer and the July 4th holiday
Make the Most of July 4th With a Day at the Beach
BOSTON, MA--(Marketwire - June 19, 2012) - July 4th is just around the corner -- and that means beach season! To celebrate this symbol of summer fun and sunshine, the editors of Cheapflights.com have compiled a list of their list of Top 10 Beach Boardwalks. These oceanfront gathering spots epitomize all that is great about summertime: fun, family, tradition and entertainment for all ages. Visit any of these spots by day or by night to see summer fun in full swing.
For a touch of Americana this Independence Day, check out one of these five beachside hotspots here in the U.S. to experience the traditional mix of food, games, rides and nostalgia:
- Atlantic City Boardwalk - Atlantic City, New Jersey - What was merely an attempt to keep sand out of hotel carpets, Atlantic City's boardwalk has become one of the most renowned in the country. As America's first boardwalk, it flaunts world-class attractions, hotels and shopping, all along the water's edge, expanding over four miles and several piers. Just off the boardwalk is Atlantic City's bustling casino industry and exciting nightlife. And thanks to the success of HBO's Boardwalk Empire, interest in Atlantic City's tumultuous history is at an all-time high, providing visitors plenty of opportunities to relive the bygone era.
- Kemah Boardwalk - Kemah, Texas - A boardwalk in Houston? We know what you're thinking, but Kemah has become the Galveston Bay area's most popular entertainment park in a short amount of time. Boasting loads of amusement park rides, including the renowned Boardwalk Bullet roller coaster, the Boardwalk is also open year-round. The Beast is another Kemah favorite, taking passengers out in a speedboat on the bay, and making high-speed turns to ensure that no passenger stays dry. Another plus: there's plenty of shopping and dining in and around the area.
- Coney Island Beach & Boardwalk - Brooklyn, New York - Though Coney Island has taken a hit in recent years, selling portions of its beachfront property for development, it still remains an icon. Featured in dozens of movies and home to the original Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs, the infamous Cyclone roller coaster (which is now a National Historic Landmark), the quirky Mermaid parade and outlandish sideshows, Coney Island's legacy lives on. Sitting on three miles of sandy beach, it's an ideal spot to get away from nearby New York City.
- Wildwood Boardwalk - Wildwood, New Jersey - The Wildwood Boardwalk has become a mega-boardwalk, boasting more rides than Disneyland. It ventures two miles along the Jersey Shore and encompasses five piers. Rides range from 140-foot-high Ferris wheels to 1,000-gallon dumping buckets. If you're an adrenaline junkie, the Great White is the East Coast's tallest and fastest wooden roller coaster. And if you're there during peak summer hours, behold plenty of concerts, monster truck rallies and even sporting events.
- Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk - Santa Cruz, California - One of the few boardwalk parks left on the West Coast, Santa Cruz is still a bustling hotspot. Flaunting more than 35 rides, the boardwalk brings in more than 3 million visitors annually. Fashioned after popular East Coast boardwalks, like Coney Island and Atlantic City's, the Santa Cruz boardwalk prides itself on its current successes. While other boardwalks in America have come and gone, Santa Cruz, established in 1907, has stood the test of time.
Thinking of a more international beach experience this year? Then consider one of our five picks from overseas: Promenade des Anglais - Nice, France; Changi Point Coastal Walk - Changi Point, Singapore; Copacabana Beach - Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; Brighton Beach - Brighton, East Sussex, United Kingdom; and Gold Coast Oceanway - Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia. To read more details about these beach boardwalks and to see the complete list of Cheapflights.com's Top Beach Boardwalks, visit http://news.cheapflights.com/top-10-beach-boardwalks.
About Cheapflights Media
Cheapflights Media is an international media network helping over 11 million visitors a month find top travel deals. Our Cheapflights brand was launched in 1996 and pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users. Today, users compare a wide range of deals from hundreds of partners including online travel agents, consolidators and airlines to find the very best flight deals. With a mission to be the starting point for travel, Cheapflights works to deliver the industry's best airfare bargains, expert tips and inspiration. There are currently Cheapflights sites in the U.K., U.S., Canada, Germany, Australia & New Zealand, France, Italy and Spain. For more information, visit www.cheapflights.com. Our newest brand, Momondo, is a leading travel search engine for finding comprehensive worldwide pricing and availability on airfares. Winner of several awards, the site is ideal for users on specific travel schedules. For more information, visit www.momondo.com.