Discover Film Tourism at Its Best With Our Top 10 Film Locations Around the World
TORONTO--(Marketwire - March 27, 2012) - With the recent insanely successful release of The Hunger Games in theatres around the world, diehard fans are flocking to North Carolina to check out places where the movie was shot. Just as the Twilight film series boosted tourism in Vancouver and Washington and as the Lord of the Rings trilogy kicked off Tolkien Tourism for New Zealand, oftentimes the destinations where the movies are shot have become stars of the films in their own right. Cheapflights.ca, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, got caught up in the film craze and created a list of Top 10 Film Locations Around the World and our accompanying interactive Movie Location Quiz on Facebook to challenge your movie location trivia knowledge.
Knowing which movies or celebrities filmed in a destination can add an element of fun and excitement to any vacation. Instead of simply picturing yourself where your favourite movie was filmed or your celebrity crush hung out while on location, you can go and discover it for yourself. To help inspire you, below are five of Cheapflights.ca's Top 10 Film Locations Around the World located in Canada, the US and South America.
- New York, NY, USA - A character (almost) in hundreds and hundreds of films, this glittering city is another instantly recognizable star of the silver screen. Nobody has eulogized New York like Woody Allen (Manhattan, Bullets Over Broadway, Annie Hall, New York Stories, Radio Days), but the city has been instrumental to the dreams of all who have pitched up there -- the immigrants (In America, The Terminal, Gangs of New York), gangs vying for power (Donnie Brasco, Mean Streets, Once Upon a Time in America) and young women (such as Holly Golightly and Carrie Bradshaw) who have stars in their eyes. Search and compare cheap flights to New York.
- Vancouver, Canada - The Hollywood of the North offers a plethora of backdrops -- urban, suburban, forested, mountainous, beach -- and has been the background for dozens of films such as Legends of the Fall (1994), First Blood (1984), Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011) and the Night at the Museum films. BC's super natural beauty also makes it a perfect setting for films with a touch of the supernatural so it's no surprise that parts of The Twilight Saga were filmed there too. Search and compare cheap flights to Vancouver.
- Kauai, Hawaii - Kauai has been Hollywood's tropical back lot of choice for eight decades now. The most western of the Hawaiian islands, it oozes star quality. It's a shape-shifter too, pretending to be Australia, Central and South America, Africa, Southeast Asia, the South Pacific and even, in the case of Avatar, a world that doesn't exist. Tropic Thunder used Wailua Falls and Kauai Sands Beach, Jurassic Park had Kapaa Town as a backdrop, and, most recently, Tahiti Nui appeared in George Clooney's latest film, The Descendants. The latest instalment of the Pirates of the Caribbean (Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides) was filmed there too. Search and compare cheap flights to Hawaii.
- Argentina - The South American country is well named for the movie business -- argento meaning silver after all -- and a slew of successful films have been shot there. Sometimes Argentina has stood in for other countries, as was the case with Seven Years in Tibet (the Andes were supposed to be the Himalayas), There Be Dragons (not Madrid, but Lujan) and On the Road, but it has plenty of pulling power of its own as we saw in The Mission (1986), Evita (1996) and the Motorcycle Diaries (2004). Search and compare cheap flights to Argentina.
- North Carolina, USA - Plenty of films have been shot in North Carolina -- Bull Durham (1988), The Last of the Mohicans (1992) and Dirty Dancing (1987) to name just three. It's popular with TV makers too -- home of teen dramas Dawson's Creek and One Tree Hill and the brilliant Showtime drama Homeland. But 2012 is set to smash all records now that The Hunger Games has been released. The movie, based on Suzanne Collins' novel, is expected to be one of the highest grossing films of 2012. The state had everything that was needed -- lush forests, industrial wasteland and modern architecture -- to create the country of Panem. Search and compare cheap flights to North Carolina.
The next five film locations are based overseas and are home to some of major blockbuster movies and include: London, England; Almeria, Spain; Prague, Czech Republic; Thailand; and New Zealand. To find out more about which movies were set in these destinations and for the complete details on all of Cheapflights.ca's Top 10 Film Locations Around the World, visit http://www.cheapflights.ca/promos/top-10-film-locations-around-the-world.
About Cheapflights Media
Cheapflights Media is an international media network helping over 11 million visitors a month find top travel deals. Our Cheapflights brand was launched in 1996 and pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users. Today, users compare a wide range of deals from hundreds of partners including online travel agents, consolidators and airlines to find the very best flight deals. With a mission to be the starting point for travel, Cheapflights works to deliver the industry's best airfare bargains, expert tips and inspiration. There are currently Cheapflights sites in the U.K., U.S., Canada, Germany, Australia & New Zealand, France, Italy and Spain. For more information, visit www.cheapflights.ca. Our newest brand, Momondo, is a leading travel search engine for finding comprehensive worldwide pricing and availability on airfares. Winner of several awards, the site is ideal for users on specific travel schedules. For more information, visit www.momondo.com.
Tel: +1 416-926-1967
Mobile: +1 416-788-4573
E-mail: Email Contact