PORTLAND, OR--(Marketwire - May 1, 2012) - Capital Pacific Bancorp (
"This is a huge honor," said Mark Stevenson, president and CEO, "and it reflects the values important to us as a community bank -- investing in and supporting the health and vitality of the community in which we live and work. It represents a deep commitment on the part of our staff and our green team who have led efforts to transform our practices and how we do business with vendors and customers."
The 20-year old Portland BEST awards recognize business leadership in environmental, economic and social sustainability. Businesses are selected for their work in reducing waste, supporting the local economy, and adopting practices and policies that save energy, water and money. The BEST Awards receive countless nominations, which are reviewed by a panel of judges that name finalists and winners in seven categories.
Among the bank's notable accomplishments in sustainability are:
- Support and sponsorship of local community organizations through volunteer activities, bank programs and an active Board and staff. The bank's 37 employees donated more than 350 hours of their time in 2011 to various non-profits in the community.
- Cover 100 percent of employee public transportation pass costs.
- Transition all paper files into an electronic document software system (banking is a traditionally paper-heavy industry).
- Provide internship opportunities through organizations working with at-risk communities.
- Reduce desktop power consumption by 93 percent through a transition from traditional computers to Thin Clients.
- Achieve 100 percent carbon offsets, as well as Water Restoration Certificates, purchased through Bonneville Environmental Foundation.
- Collaborate with community leaders to find ways to finance energy efficient projects.
- Work to create a pilot composting program for the Bank and collaborated with building managers to set up building-wide composting.
"Our work in sustainability doesn't end here," continued Stevenson. "We'll continue to look for ways we can adopt new practices that support a vibrant community in which businesses and individuals can grow and prosper."
About Capital Pacific Bancorp
Capital Pacific Bancorp (