Tasty Tips for Healthier Eating
FOR: PULMUONE FOODS USA, INC
MAY 3, 2012 - 05:00 ET
MISSION, KS--(Marketwire - May 3, 2012) - (Family Features) Healthy food and lifestyle choices are top of mind for many people. Adopting even one new behavior will help you stick to a healthier lifestyle.
"Eating a quality plant-based diet a few times a week provides a wide variety of foods and nutrients the body needs for optimal function, and can also reduce your risk for developing chronic diseases like heart disease and diabetes," says registered dietitian Ashley Koff. "Many people worry that cutting meat from their diet will cut flavor and protein -- both key for a satisfying meal. It's fun for me to teach them that marinating organic tofu -- a plant-based protein -- with spices and oils delivers meatless meals that are full of flavor and protein."
Try incorporating these tips from Koff to help make healthier food choices year-round:
- Be a qualitarian: Choose the best quality food available at every eating occasion -- you are what you eat, and your body runs best on better-quality fuel.
- Go all-natural: Make sure when you buy something that claims to be "all-natural," it really is as marketed. Companies like Pulmuone Foods USA, Inc. make that easy through their eight all-natural principles, which exclude use of preservatives, artificial additives, MSG, hydrogenated oil and irradiated ingredients.
- Get a nutrition upgrade: Whether eating animal or plant-based proteins, eat them in their whole food form -- think cubed tofu as opposed to a bar or product with soy protein isolate.
- Choose nutrient balance for optimal energy and results: Incorporating a balance of carbs, proteins and healthy fats, as opposed to just counting calories, gives your body a mix of each kind of fuel it needs to perform at its highest level.
- Incorporate D.I.T. meals throughout the week: Pressed for time? Create "Do-it-Themselves" eating occasions, such as a taco bar, so everyone in the family can find something they like.
For families looking to include vegetarian-friendly foods into their meals, Pulmuone Foods USA, Inc. makes sitting down to the dinner table easy by offering organic, vegetarian and gluten-free options, made with only quality ingredients. For more recipes and information, visit www.wildwoodfoods.com or www.montereygourmetfoods.com.
"D.I.T." Do-it-Themselves Family Style Tacos
Serves: 5 to 10
Total Time: 35 minutes
|3/4||ounces Wildwood Tofu Taco Crumbles (weight for each taco)|
|5||to 10 taco shells or corn tortillas, warmed to package directions|
|5||to 10 butter lettuce leaves, washed|
|Toppings and sides (per taco):|
|1/2||ounce organic Mexican cheese blend (Cheddar, Colby & Monterey Jack), grated|
|3/4||ounce Wildwood Mild Organic Salsa|
|1/4||ounce romaine, chopped|
|1/4||ounce cilantro, chopped|
Heat tofu crumbles in saucepan until warm.
Remove from heat, then add to taco shell or butter lettuce leaf.
Add remaining toppings listed until taco is filled to your liking.
Serves: 5 to 10
|3||ripe avocados, cut each in half, seeds removed and pulp scooped out|
|3||tablespoons red onion, finely chopped|
|3||cloves garlic, minced|
|1||tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped|
|2||tablespoons fresh lemon juice|
In small mixing bowl, combine avocado with onion, garlic, cilantro, lemon juice and salt and mash with back of fork until mostly smooth, leaving a bit of chunkiness for texture.
Serve immediately, or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
About Family Features Editorial Syndicate
This and other food and lifestyle content can be found at www.editors.familyfeatures.com. Family Features is a leading provider of free food and lifestyle content for use in print and online publications. Register with no obligation to access a variety of formatted and unformatted features, accompanying photos, and automatically updating Web content solutions.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT: