Ivar's and Kidd Valley Restaurants Name 2012 Teachers of the Year
FOR: IVAR'S; KIDD VALLEY
JUN 22, 2012 - 15:00 ET
Ninth Annual Teacher of the Year Contests Award William Levin of Hamilton International Middle School and Mark Owen of Highland Terrace Elementary School With Grand Prize Honors
SEATTLE, WA--(Marketwire - June 22, 2012) - Ivar's and Kidd Valley restaurants reviewed hundreds of essay nominations from kindergarten through eighth grade students commending their favorite teachers as part of the ninth annual Teacher of the Year contests. From that, two exceptional teachers came out on top to earn the grand prize awards. Ivar's and Kidd Valley are pleased to name William Levin of Seattle's Hamilton International Middle School as Ivar's Teacher of the Year and Mark Owen of Shoreline's Highland Terrace Elementary School as the Kidd Valley Teacher of the Year. In two separate ceremonies this week, each were presented with a $500 giant check good for a gift certificate for school supplies and a commemorative plaque, plus bragging rights among fellow teachers.
Sixth-grade student Henry Meyerson nominated Levin for his ability to motivate students to learn in a fun way, create unique projects outside of the curriculum and set up his classroom in a structured and interesting way. He was also recognized for taking time out of his schedule to assist students with projects and educating his classroom on global issues surrounding the environment and government. Meyerson and his sixth grade classmates received clam certificates good for a complimentary cup of Ivar's award-winning clam chowder and a visit by Ivar's famous Dancing Clam!
Anna Soper, a sixth-grade student from Highland Terrace Elementary School, nominated fifth-grade teacher Mark Owen. Mr. Owen is recognized for his dedication to the Math Olympiad program, building a great foundation for students' math skills and having the highest participation in the math program in the Shoreline School District. Soper and her school's Math Olympiad team received burger vouchers good for a Kidd Valley Kidds Meal.
Ivar's and Kidd Valley also awarded two teachers each the first place prizes of a $150 gift card for school supplies.
Ivar's first place winners:
- Abi Ellingson, third-grade, Sherwood Forest Elementary School, Bellevue
- Ellyn Ritchotte, sixth-grade, Lake Stevens Middle School, Lake Stevens
Kidd Valley first place winners:
- Marquerite Humphrey, second- and third-grade, Daniel Bagley Elementary, Seattle
- Merry Kay Clayton, kindergarten, Our Lady of the Lake Parish School, Archdiocese - Seattle
Fifteen teachers each also received second place honors which included a $25 Ivar's or Kidd Valley gift card.
Ivar's second place winners:
- Jennifer Degroot, third-grade, Skyline Elementary School, Lake Stevens
- Pamela Stackhouse, fourth- and fifth-grade, Daniel Bagley Elementary, Seattle
- Sidney Deering, seventh-grade, Hamilton International Middle School, Seattle
- Lisa Lordan, first-grade, Windsor Elementary School, Cheney
- Marcella Wise, third-grade, Mukilteo Elementary School, Mukilteo
- Marcia Golloway, eighth-grade, St. Thomas More Parish School, Archdiocese - Seattle
- Chris Harris, third-grade , St. Francis of Assisi School, Archdiocese - Seattle
- Carlyn Roedell, fifth- and sixth-grade, Bow Lake Elementary School, Cheney
- Kathi Allen, fourth- and fifth-grade, Sultan Elementary School, Sultan
- Nancy Fee, second-grade, Challenger Elementary School, Mukilteo
- Heather Mallory, fourth-grade, Bear Creek Elementary School, Northshore
- Kacie Seman, eighth-grade, Millcreek Middle School, Kent
- Alice Hauschka, fourth through sixth-grade, The Little School, Bellevue
- Janice Harrison, first-grade, Beachwood Elementary School, Clover Park
- Kortney Graybill, second-grade, Chambers Primary School, University Place
Kidd Valley second place winners:
- Brian Hoskins, sixth through eighth-grade, Nelsen Middle School, Renton
- Lisa Dunker Olson, fourth- and fifth-grade, Greenwood Elementary School, Seattle
- Peggy Aman, third-grade, St. Joseph School, Archdiocese - Seattle
- Carrie Junke, eighth-grade, Maywood Middle School, Issaquah
- Chad Duskin, sixth-grade, Post Middle School, Arlington
- Jackie Eng, sixth-grade, McKnight Middle School, Renton
- Gini Powers, fifth-grade, John Hay Elementary School, Seattle
- Terri Latta, first through ninth-grade, homeschool, Auburn
- Lisa Wilson, fourth-grade, Sierra Heights Elementary School, Renton
- Kayomi McDonald, sixth- and eighth-grade, Hamilton International Middle School, Seattle
- Megan Woodward, second-grade, Briancrest Elementary School, Shoreline
- Jill Gibbs-Doepel, Support Center, Meridian Elementary School, Kent
- Cathy Nishimura, third-grade, Wilder Elementary School, Lake Washington
- Kathy Keegan, second-grade, Newcastle Elementary School, Issaquah
- Cara Haney, kindergarten, Panther Lake Elementary School, Kent
Ivar's Seafood Restaurants began on Seattle's waterfront in 1938. Today, there are 25 Ivar's fast casual Seafood Bars and three full-service restaurants: Ivar's Acres of Clams, Ivar's Salmon House and Ivar's Mukilteo Landing. Ivar's Seafood, Soup and Sauce Company markets and sells its award-winning soups, chowders and sauces both nationally and internationally. The company also operates regional stadium concessions including Safeco Field, CenturyLink Field and KeyArena. Learn more at www.ivars.com.
About Kidd Valley
Kidd Valley has earned a following throughout Seattle and the Eastside for its made-to-order burgers, old fashioned, hand-mixed shakes which often feature seasonal ingredients, Kidd Meals, and mouthwatering side dishes such as fresh sweet onion rings, sweet potato fries, Grounders Famous Garlic Fries and signature fried mushrooms. Kidd Valley began in 1975 in Seattle's University District. Today, Kidd Valley has 8 retail locations throughout Western Washington plus 6 stadium and event locations such as Safeco Field, CenturyLink Field and KeyArena. For more, please visit www.kiddvalley.com.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
Jamie Hinz, For Ivar's